Wednesday 18 August 2010

Welcome to 'Little England'...



This is the repeated phrase I've heard in Nuwara Eliya: utilised by the British to grow tea and cool climate vegetables and fruits (including the beloved British strawberry), colonial Nuwara Eliya became known as a microcosm of England. It certainly feels that way when I was there: very chilly, with constant drizzle and grey mist obscuring the hilltops.

Nuwara Eliya is home to Victoria Park, a beautiful landscaped garden filled with fountains, ponds, flowers and numerous bright little birds chirruping away in the trees. Later in the day I visited Labookellie Tea Factory, and saw exactly how we get our delicious cuppas back home. Topped off with a complimentary pot of golden tea and a rather tasty slice of chocolate cake, a brilliant way to end my visit to the heart of the Hill Country.



Today I journeyed for hours on the bus, back to Colombo where I will be spending a few days before heading down to Galle on the south coast. Already the chilly, windy nights and rainy, misty days of Nuwara Eliya are becoming like a dream in the hot, humid air of the capital...

No comments:

Post a Comment